Steven F. Harwin, MD, FACS | Orthopaedic Surgeon, New York, NY
Total Knee Relacement with Dr. Harwin
Learn More About
Total Joint Replacement
Instructions after Total Knee Replacement by Dr. Harwin
To the Physical Therapist:
Please direct most of your efforts to increasing the range of motion. Dr. Harwin encourages return to normal activities as soon as possible.
- Try to resume a normal walking pattern as soon as you can
- You may put as much weight on the leg as you feel possible
- Switch to a cane as soon as you are comfortable and secure
- You may go outside and resume normal activities as soon as you can
For the first 6 weeks after your surgery...
For any questions or clarifications, call Dr. Harwin's office
- The most important part of physical therapy is to...
- Achieve extension of 0° (the knee must straighten fully)
- And to get more than 90° of flexion (to bend more than a right angle)
- Never put a pillow under the knee…put a rolled towel under the ankle
- We want the knee as straight as possible, but also you must…
- Bend the knee past a right angle several time a day
- Do not begin exercises with weights until told to do so by Dr. Harwin
- Physical Therapist: Call Dr. Harwin if motion is not achieved
By Dr. Steven Harwin